HealthCare

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Sunday, July 18, 2010

Poetry In Plain Sight - CaLokie

Posted on 2:00 PM by Unknown
I have always loved poetry. I use to participate in a poetry group. I wrote ok but not great poetry. I stopped because the pain of living grew to be greater that the pain of creating.

We need poetry. One of the things I want to see change is the visibility of poetry in our society. Not just by the anointed; it needs to be spoken by those of us on the front lines of life radio back to those to come we lived as best we can and here is what we found on the journey.

This is a touch-up of humanity in these times. This is my small contribution, long delayed.

CaLokie has seen a thing or two and works hard at crafting poems as a reminder that 140 characters does not always cut it - we need to soak up feelings, meaning and intent.

This is CaLokie with a poem about the six month anniversary of the earthquake in Haiti.



The Back Story


I have a memory, me, Alice Dayton, Don, CaLokie and a few others were sitting in a restaurant. We were trying to figure out how to advance and move poetry out of the niche or closed society it was in the early 1990s.

We didn't have an answer. We didn't have the full blown Internet that we have today.

A few weeks back I was curled up in the bed remembering what a crummy excuse for a human I was when I looked at the cover of To Kill A Mockingbird. One book, one creative act can change a heart, soul or way of life.

You don't have to write a book. A poem will do. Poems are really good at getting to the essence of our being. You don't have to be perfect.

You just have to write it down.

Or say the words.

Or listen.

Anyway, for how ever long it last I will try to post a poet reading his or her work or interview a poet. The video will be homespun, not fancy and gently edited. All poetry belongs to the creators; they maintain their copyright.

All I'm doing is recording what I experienced on that day. Poetry in plain sight.
Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Posted in artists, community, poetry, storytelling | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • Cheryl Contee on Networking and Watching The Old Guard
    You learn something everyday and sometimes twice a day. Then again, you can be reminded of things you should have known. In this clip, Chery...
  • Public Health Movie From 1944 - Learning From The Past
    This was a public health movie about encoraging soldiers to get treatment for venereal diseases. This was something you did not say out loud...
  • The Places and Spaces In My Photos
    I have been taking photos since I was thirteen. Sometimes it is a snap shot. I try to make quality prints. No, that isn't true. I try to...
  • Break the Freaking Mold - Colorlines Video
    As some of you know, I am an advocate for alternative and creative video content. I do not care if you want to monetize or not, show me some...
  • In Memory of Miss Koko Taylor on the Finally Friday Freakout
    Koko Taylor sang about life, stories and adventure though the Blues. She carried forward a long tradition of telling the tales via music. He...
  • Lusting Tempos for National Poetry Month
    It is National Poetry Month. I don't have to tell regular readers what May is but stock up on the lube just in case. Replace your worn o...
  • Kathleen Sebelius on Preventative Health Care Services - BlogHer 2013
    Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius spoke at the BlogHer 2013 HealthMinder Day Keynote session. In this clip, Ms. Sebelius...
  • Past as It Plays Itself Foward In Time
    It wasn't like this. It was gritty. Dirty. There was a smell, sometimes. There was people selling vegetables in boxes on sidewalks or in...
  • Trying Not to Be Numbed Out and Failing
    There is a part of me that wants me to "do something". There is a section of my brain that is saying "chill".  I can...
  • Women of the Dance
    There are certain songs that I must dance when they are played. The music forces me out of my chair and commands me to move my body in defia...

Categories

  • aging (40)
  • animation (2)
  • art (21)
  • artists (24)
  • aware (21)
  • BlogHer (7)
  • BlogHer09 (7)
  • books (14)
  • buying (5)
  • camcorders (3)
  • changes (27)
  • choice (12)
  • citizenship (23)
  • comedy (7)
  • comics (2)
  • community (100)
  • computers (9)
  • copyright (1)
  • creativity (102)
  • culture (91)
  • dancing (30)
  • death (9)
  • domestic violence (3)
  • Doo Dah (1)
  • education (44)
  • edupunk (2)
  • election (2)
  • environment (13)
  • ethics (3)
  • faith (19)
  • financial (7)
  • food (26)
  • free events (12)
  • freedom (29)
  • frustrations (60)
  • FTS (3)
  • fuel (1)
  • funk (7)
  • gadgets (12)
  • games (1)
  • green (5)
  • health (40)
  • history (42)
  • humor (17)
  • information (35)
  • inventors (3)
  • journalism (7)
  • language (14)
  • Linux (1)
  • literacy (15)
  • los angeles (6)
  • marriage (2)
  • mass transit (3)
  • math (2)
  • media (11)
  • memories (36)
  • Metro (3)
  • midlife (38)
  • movies (14)
  • music (97)
  • music. (6)
  • networking (4)
  • old tech (3)
  • parents (1)
  • parody (5)
  • Pasadena (9)
  • pcampLA (5)
  • peace (10)
  • performance (25)
  • persuasion (5)
  • persuation (19)
  • photography (3)
  • poetry (57)
  • politics (32)
  • presentation (9)
  • protest (8)
  • PSA (12)
  • ramble (24)
  • reading (6)
  • religion (3)
  • resources (12)
  • responsibility (17)
  • sales (2)
  • science (8)
  • sex (37)
  • spirituality (12)
  • staycation (17)
  • storytelling (27)
  • survival (26)
  • swing (1)
  • technology (26)
  • television (8)
  • thinking (30)
  • trains (1)
  • transportation (2)
  • tutorials (8)
  • veggie (1)
  • video (17)
  • videoblogging (68)
  • videobloggingweek2009 (1)
  • violence (6)
  • viral (8)
  • VloMo (36)
  • voting (3)
  • war (3)
  • water (1)
  • women (76)
  • writing (35)

Blog Archive

  • ►  2013 (32)
    • ►  September (2)
    • ►  August (4)
    • ►  July (5)
    • ►  June (2)
    • ►  May (2)
    • ►  April (3)
    • ►  March (5)
    • ►  February (6)
    • ►  January (3)
  • ►  2012 (64)
    • ►  December (3)
    • ►  November (6)
    • ►  October (6)
    • ►  September (4)
    • ►  August (9)
    • ►  July (8)
    • ►  June (7)
    • ►  May (7)
    • ►  April (3)
    • ►  March (3)
    • ►  February (4)
    • ►  January (4)
  • ►  2011 (112)
    • ►  December (7)
    • ►  November (10)
    • ►  October (7)
    • ►  September (5)
    • ►  August (7)
    • ►  July (8)
    • ►  June (11)
    • ►  May (9)
    • ►  April (11)
    • ►  March (18)
    • ►  February (9)
    • ►  January (10)
  • ▼  2010 (176)
    • ►  December (10)
    • ►  November (30)
    • ►  October (15)
    • ►  September (13)
    • ►  August (12)
    • ▼  July (14)
      • Poetry In Plain Sight - Don Kingfisher Campbell
      • Ring My Bell on the Finally Friday Freakout
      • Poetry In Plain Sight - Raindog
      • Poetry In Plain Sight - Armando Flores Jr.
      • Poetry In Plain Sight - CaLokie
      • Saturday Stuff To Do
      • Don't Play That Song on the Finally Friday Freakout
      • A Book I Haven't Read or I'm Slipping
      • Send Him Up Proper - Mr. Walter Hawkins
      • Cherish The Day on the Finally Friday Freakout
      • Is College Worth It? The Story Part Two
      • Is College Worth It? The Story Part One
      • Rory Sutherland at TED - Sweat The Small Stuff
      • Shout on the Finall Friday Freakout
    • ►  June (11)
    • ►  May (17)
    • ►  April (14)
    • ►  March (15)
    • ►  February (15)
    • ►  January (10)
  • ►  2009 (116)
    • ►  December (11)
    • ►  November (15)
    • ►  October (14)
    • ►  September (15)
    • ►  August (13)
    • ►  July (21)
    • ►  June (15)
    • ►  May (12)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile