HealthCare

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Monday, January 14, 2013

I Know What A Rutabaga Is Dang It!

Posted on 6:04 AM by Unknown
I am encountering people perceiving me as less than competent when my grey hair is exposed.

That I am no spring chicken.
That I am nearing my expiration date in terms of my opinions and social relevance.
That I am out of shape and it is too late to do anything about it.
That I have instantly become daft.

I was in the supermarket. I bought rutabagas.  Not turnips.

At checkout, the young man is looking up the vegetable he can enter the right code. I tell him it is a rutabaga.



"No, it is a turnip."


"It is a rutabega," I repeat.

"No, it's a turnip."

Now I could have stood in a busy supermarket arguing the point but I have learned that there are certain things your should not fight to the end of the line.

I could have yanked his behind over to the vegetable section where someone had put a sign that said rutabegas. I could have pulled out my smartphone and spent five minutes searching for a mobile photo of a rutabega.

No, I let the boy child ring it up as he pleased.

Let the record show that I know my vegetables and I did indeed buy a yellow rutabega.

Yes, I know that in some parts of the country both items are called the same things.

Not the point.

He judged the vegetable by the purple banding.
They are not quite the same, rutabages have a very strong taste.

We judge people by the externals.

This is not right.

Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Posted in aging, food, midlife | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • The Places and Spaces In My Photos
    I have been taking photos since I was thirteen. Sometimes it is a snap shot. I try to make quality prints. No, that isn't true. I try to...
  • Cheryl Contee on Networking and Watching The Old Guard
    You learn something everyday and sometimes twice a day. Then again, you can be reminded of things you should have known. In this clip, Chery...
  • Poetry In Plain Sight - Rosalee Thompson
    This is Rosalee Thompson reading her poem, "Everyone Gets Everything". Don Kingfisher Campbell has a poetry blog (who am I kidding...
  • Do Not Yell If You Are Losing Your Voice
    I going on a four day head cold that has resulted in a strong desire for sleep and a very raspy voice. I am now talking in a whisper. During...
  • Public Health Movie From 1944 - Learning From The Past
    This was a public health movie about encoraging soldiers to get treatment for venereal diseases. This was something you did not say out loud...
  • In Memory of Miss Koko Taylor on the Finally Friday Freakout
    Koko Taylor sang about life, stories and adventure though the Blues. She carried forward a long tradition of telling the tales via music. He...
  • Past as It Plays Itself Foward In Time
    It wasn't like this. It was gritty. Dirty. There was a smell, sometimes. There was people selling vegetables in boxes on sidewalks or in...
  • Kathleen Sebelius on Preventative Health Care Services - BlogHer 2013
    Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius spoke at the BlogHer 2013 HealthMinder Day Keynote session. In this clip, Ms. Sebelius...
  • Video Geek Lab - Core Skills Video Resources
    I gave a short presentation at BlogHer09 about the resources available to help folks create videos. This will be a series of virtual handout...
  • Trying Not to Be Numbed Out and Failing
    There is a part of me that wants me to "do something". There is a section of my brain that is saying "chill".  I can...

Categories

  • aging (40)
  • animation (2)
  • art (21)
  • artists (24)
  • aware (21)
  • BlogHer (7)
  • BlogHer09 (7)
  • books (14)
  • buying (5)
  • camcorders (3)
  • changes (27)
  • choice (12)
  • citizenship (23)
  • comedy (7)
  • comics (2)
  • community (100)
  • computers (9)
  • copyright (1)
  • creativity (102)
  • culture (91)
  • dancing (30)
  • death (9)
  • domestic violence (3)
  • Doo Dah (1)
  • education (44)
  • edupunk (2)
  • election (2)
  • environment (13)
  • ethics (3)
  • faith (19)
  • financial (7)
  • food (26)
  • free events (12)
  • freedom (29)
  • frustrations (60)
  • FTS (3)
  • fuel (1)
  • funk (7)
  • gadgets (12)
  • games (1)
  • green (5)
  • health (40)
  • history (42)
  • humor (17)
  • information (35)
  • inventors (3)
  • journalism (7)
  • language (14)
  • Linux (1)
  • literacy (15)
  • los angeles (6)
  • marriage (2)
  • mass transit (3)
  • math (2)
  • media (11)
  • memories (36)
  • Metro (3)
  • midlife (38)
  • movies (14)
  • music (97)
  • music. (6)
  • networking (4)
  • old tech (3)
  • parents (1)
  • parody (5)
  • Pasadena (9)
  • pcampLA (5)
  • peace (10)
  • performance (25)
  • persuasion (5)
  • persuation (19)
  • photography (3)
  • poetry (57)
  • politics (32)
  • presentation (9)
  • protest (8)
  • PSA (12)
  • ramble (24)
  • reading (6)
  • religion (3)
  • resources (12)
  • responsibility (17)
  • sales (2)
  • science (8)
  • sex (37)
  • spirituality (12)
  • staycation (17)
  • storytelling (27)
  • survival (26)
  • swing (1)
  • technology (26)
  • television (8)
  • thinking (30)
  • trains (1)
  • transportation (2)
  • tutorials (8)
  • veggie (1)
  • video (17)
  • videoblogging (68)
  • videobloggingweek2009 (1)
  • violence (6)
  • viral (8)
  • VloMo (36)
  • voting (3)
  • war (3)
  • water (1)
  • women (76)
  • writing (35)

Blog Archive

  • ▼  2013 (32)
    • ►  September (2)
    • ►  August (4)
    • ►  July (5)
    • ►  June (2)
    • ►  May (2)
    • ►  April (3)
    • ►  March (5)
    • ►  February (6)
    • ▼  January (3)
      • The Dickination About Gun Control
      • I Know What A Rutabaga Is Dang It!
      • How Do You Explain Zardoz?
  • ►  2012 (64)
    • ►  December (3)
    • ►  November (6)
    • ►  October (6)
    • ►  September (4)
    • ►  August (9)
    • ►  July (8)
    • ►  June (7)
    • ►  May (7)
    • ►  April (3)
    • ►  March (3)
    • ►  February (4)
    • ►  January (4)
  • ►  2011 (112)
    • ►  December (7)
    • ►  November (10)
    • ►  October (7)
    • ►  September (5)
    • ►  August (7)
    • ►  July (8)
    • ►  June (11)
    • ►  May (9)
    • ►  April (11)
    • ►  March (18)
    • ►  February (9)
    • ►  January (10)
  • ►  2010 (176)
    • ►  December (10)
    • ►  November (30)
    • ►  October (15)
    • ►  September (13)
    • ►  August (12)
    • ►  July (14)
    • ►  June (11)
    • ►  May (17)
    • ►  April (14)
    • ►  March (15)
    • ►  February (15)
    • ►  January (10)
  • ►  2009 (116)
    • ►  December (11)
    • ►  November (15)
    • ►  October (14)
    • ►  September (15)
    • ►  August (13)
    • ►  July (21)
    • ►  June (15)
    • ►  May (12)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile