HealthCare

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Friday, August 20, 2010

Eric Dolphy on The Finally Friday Freakout

Posted on 5:56 PM by Unknown
I'm going to be honest. I don't know who Eric Dolphy is or why he is important to jazz. I'll tell you how I found him. I was looking at a advertisement for the Pasadena Jazz Festival.

I don't know most of the people on the ad. This is more my shame than the performers. I wasn't brought up in the jazz tradition. Jazz was separate from Funk.

I was raised a Funkateer. I will never turn my back on Funk. That doesn't mean I close my ears to other forms of music. I have an album around here with Chick Corea playing classical music. I knew that he was primarily a jazz performer but he was stepping out. I like classical so I took a chance.



I'm getting to the point, honest. Ok, so I watched some of Chick's work but in the sidebar are Eric Dolphy videos. I click on a video that lead to another that lead to this video from Germany.

I don't know the name of the tune.

Hollywood film, video and music makers are petitioning any one that will listen (FCC and Congress) to keep people from uploading copyrighted content. I am not for stealing other people's works. Really, I'm not.

The industry and the unions want more fines, imprisonment, non-net neutrality and anything that will keep people from uploading their content. I'm not saying they don't have rights. The way they are going about it is often wrong and ultimately will drive people away from what they claim to cherish. Money.

Yes, there are industrial bootleggers and pirates. Go after them.

Music content is a part of my cultural heritage. I want to know what I have missed.

Fans of performers want other people to discover their favorite artists. Other people do not want the art form known as Jazz to die a ignored death.

Even if I knew what to ask for I can't beg any of my local radio stations to play jazz artists that are not under the "Smooth Jazz" formula. No disrespect intended.

The programed play list is all knowing, all limited. All locked into the major recording labels so that independents don't have a chance of being seen or heard.

What if you want something different and don't know what it is until you hear or see it?

That is what happened this evening. I found something different and I liked it.
Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Posted in copyright, culture, music, performance | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • Cheryl Contee on Networking and Watching The Old Guard
    You learn something everyday and sometimes twice a day. Then again, you can be reminded of things you should have known. In this clip, Chery...
  • Public Health Movie From 1944 - Learning From The Past
    This was a public health movie about encoraging soldiers to get treatment for venereal diseases. This was something you did not say out loud...
  • The Places and Spaces In My Photos
    I have been taking photos since I was thirteen. Sometimes it is a snap shot. I try to make quality prints. No, that isn't true. I try to...
  • Break the Freaking Mold - Colorlines Video
    As some of you know, I am an advocate for alternative and creative video content. I do not care if you want to monetize or not, show me some...
  • In Memory of Miss Koko Taylor on the Finally Friday Freakout
    Koko Taylor sang about life, stories and adventure though the Blues. She carried forward a long tradition of telling the tales via music. He...
  • Lusting Tempos for National Poetry Month
    It is National Poetry Month. I don't have to tell regular readers what May is but stock up on the lube just in case. Replace your worn o...
  • Kathleen Sebelius on Preventative Health Care Services - BlogHer 2013
    Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius spoke at the BlogHer 2013 HealthMinder Day Keynote session. In this clip, Ms. Sebelius...
  • Past as It Plays Itself Foward In Time
    It wasn't like this. It was gritty. Dirty. There was a smell, sometimes. There was people selling vegetables in boxes on sidewalks or in...
  • Trying Not to Be Numbed Out and Failing
    There is a part of me that wants me to "do something". There is a section of my brain that is saying "chill".  I can...
  • Women of the Dance
    There are certain songs that I must dance when they are played. The music forces me out of my chair and commands me to move my body in defia...

Categories

  • aging (40)
  • animation (2)
  • art (21)
  • artists (24)
  • aware (21)
  • BlogHer (7)
  • BlogHer09 (7)
  • books (14)
  • buying (5)
  • camcorders (3)
  • changes (27)
  • choice (12)
  • citizenship (23)
  • comedy (7)
  • comics (2)
  • community (100)
  • computers (9)
  • copyright (1)
  • creativity (102)
  • culture (91)
  • dancing (30)
  • death (9)
  • domestic violence (3)
  • Doo Dah (1)
  • education (44)
  • edupunk (2)
  • election (2)
  • environment (13)
  • ethics (3)
  • faith (19)
  • financial (7)
  • food (26)
  • free events (12)
  • freedom (29)
  • frustrations (60)
  • FTS (3)
  • fuel (1)
  • funk (7)
  • gadgets (12)
  • games (1)
  • green (5)
  • health (40)
  • history (42)
  • humor (17)
  • information (35)
  • inventors (3)
  • journalism (7)
  • language (14)
  • Linux (1)
  • literacy (15)
  • los angeles (6)
  • marriage (2)
  • mass transit (3)
  • math (2)
  • media (11)
  • memories (36)
  • Metro (3)
  • midlife (38)
  • movies (14)
  • music (97)
  • music. (6)
  • networking (4)
  • old tech (3)
  • parents (1)
  • parody (5)
  • Pasadena (9)
  • pcampLA (5)
  • peace (10)
  • performance (25)
  • persuasion (5)
  • persuation (19)
  • photography (3)
  • poetry (57)
  • politics (32)
  • presentation (9)
  • protest (8)
  • PSA (12)
  • ramble (24)
  • reading (6)
  • religion (3)
  • resources (12)
  • responsibility (17)
  • sales (2)
  • science (8)
  • sex (37)
  • spirituality (12)
  • staycation (17)
  • storytelling (27)
  • survival (26)
  • swing (1)
  • technology (26)
  • television (8)
  • thinking (30)
  • trains (1)
  • transportation (2)
  • tutorials (8)
  • veggie (1)
  • video (17)
  • videoblogging (68)
  • videobloggingweek2009 (1)
  • violence (6)
  • viral (8)
  • VloMo (36)
  • voting (3)
  • war (3)
  • water (1)
  • women (76)
  • writing (35)

Blog Archive

  • ►  2013 (32)
    • ►  September (2)
    • ►  August (4)
    • ►  July (5)
    • ►  June (2)
    • ►  May (2)
    • ►  April (3)
    • ►  March (5)
    • ►  February (6)
    • ►  January (3)
  • ►  2012 (64)
    • ►  December (3)
    • ►  November (6)
    • ►  October (6)
    • ►  September (4)
    • ►  August (9)
    • ►  July (8)
    • ►  June (7)
    • ►  May (7)
    • ►  April (3)
    • ►  March (3)
    • ►  February (4)
    • ►  January (4)
  • ►  2011 (112)
    • ►  December (7)
    • ►  November (10)
    • ►  October (7)
    • ►  September (5)
    • ►  August (7)
    • ►  July (8)
    • ►  June (11)
    • ►  May (9)
    • ►  April (11)
    • ►  March (18)
    • ►  February (9)
    • ►  January (10)
  • ▼  2010 (176)
    • ►  December (10)
    • ►  November (30)
    • ►  October (15)
    • ►  September (13)
    • ▼  August (12)
      • Poetry In Plain Sight - Ms. Kelly
      • Health Insurance Workshop for Artists At The Armory
      • What The World Need Now on the Finally Friday Frea...
      • Podcasting Literature - Salvation Road
      • Eric Dolphy on The Finally Friday Freakout
      • Different Voices - Civil Debate Session BlogHer 2010
      • Dealing with Thread Hijacking - Civil Debate Sessi...
      • Beautiful Tree on the Finally Friday Freakout
      • Validating Your Creativity - BlogHer 2010
      • Two Games About Women's Bodies and Both Make Me Sad
      • The Things I'd Want Other Women to Know
      • A Heck of A Town - Pre-BlogHer
    • ►  July (14)
    • ►  June (11)
    • ►  May (17)
    • ►  April (14)
    • ►  March (15)
    • ►  February (15)
    • ►  January (10)
  • ►  2009 (116)
    • ►  December (11)
    • ►  November (15)
    • ►  October (14)
    • ►  September (15)
    • ►  August (13)
    • ►  July (21)
    • ►  June (15)
    • ►  May (12)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile